Restoring your smile and boosting your self-esteem
Dental implants act just like tooth roots to provide a strong support for replacement teeth or they can be used to secure ill-fitting dentures. They offer a host of benefits and provide a longer lasting way to restore your smile and improve your confidence.
How do dental implants work ?
Essentially substitute tooth roots, dental implants are cylindrical posts that are carefully positioned in your jawbone to create a firm foundation for new teeth. They are made from titanium – a metal that is very well tolerated by the body – and after a few months they fuse neatly with your bone.
What is the treatment process ?
- So we can create a customised treatment plan, we assess your teeth, gums and the condition of your jaw bone, as well as taking note of your general health.
- If you don’t have sufficient bone density, we may carry out additional grafting procedures to ensure any implants can be anchored firmly in place.
- The titanium fixtures are then placed in your bone using a minor surgical procedure.
- Once in position, you will just need to wait for the implants to fuse with your bone. This takes a few months, but once this bonding process has taken place, the implants will be ready to support your brand new teeth.
By filling in unsightly gaps with realistic looking teeth, dental implants will not only enhance your smile, they can also:
- Improve your facial shape.
- Eliminate the need for dentures which, if ill-fitting, can cause a number of irritating problems such as slurred speech and impaired chewing ability.
- Be used for better fitting ‘implant retained’ dentures.
How long will they last?
Just like your natural teeth, implants need to be kept clean with frequent brushing and flossing. If you keep on top of your dental hygiene and attend regular check-ups, your implants should remain in great condition and last for years.